Friday, February 28, 2014

FOLK ART MUSEUM OP ED IN AM NEW YORK

The inspiration for THE JUNCTION OF SUNSHINE AND LUCKY came from rural farm auctions; I've been going since I was a kid, and these days, I go with my brother (a full-time antiques dealer).  You don't leave a farm auction without discovering repurposed items somewhere: dresses made from feedsack material, stools made of Coke crates, bird feeders made from Ball fruit jars...

The deeper I dove into the manuscript, though, the more I began to learn about folk art environments like the Watts Towers in California, or the Orange Show in Texas, or Vollis Simpson's Whirligig Farm in North Carolina.  I knew I wanted to write about artists who created a work of art they could live inside.


The Watts Towers

Because I'm such a fan of folk art, I had to weigh in on the fate of the former Folk Art Museum, located near MoMA.  The piece runs today in Am New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis