Friday, December 17, 2010

BOOK BLOGGER HOP

Book Blogger Hop I loved Follow Friday so much, I decided to take part in this week's Book Blogger Hop! This week's question? "What do you consider the most important in a story: the plot or the characters?"

Uuuugh! The torture! How can an author ever decide? If you don't have a great plot, the book's never going to sell (writing tip: snoring from a potential editor is never a good sign). But...what hooks me in as a reader is always character. When a voice comes screaming right off a page, that's when I know I've just encountered a fantastic writer.

So...that's my answer (I think I rode the fence a bit...am I a cheat?) Let me know where you weigh in on the subject...(And if any of you are here for the first time, as a result of the Blog Hop, please leave a comment and I'll head on over to your own blog...)

6 comments:

  1. This might be the best Book Blogger Hop question I've seen to date.

    So what's the answer? Plot! Hop over to my blog and let me tell you how a good plot rescued bad characters from bad book oblivion.

    Howard Sherman
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Holly thank you for stopping by and I am a new follower of yours as well. I am going to have to check out your books. I am starting to read some YA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog -- and now I'm following yours! I definitely think that a good book has to have strong plot and well-written characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it's basically impossible to decide. Plot and character are all tangled up in each other! If a character really puts me off then I may not continue on to discover the fantastic plot, but even stellar characterization can't always save a plot that goes nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a tough question. Ideally you would have both and plot is very important but as I said on my answer a good character will keep me hanging in there even with a weak plot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopping by from the blog hop.

    Lots of good answers to this week's tough question.

    Stop by my blog to see my answer to this week's question.

    Also check out a design site I found...pretty neat home decorating ideas...it is in the right side panel on my blog.

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis