Friday, May 23, 2014

FERAL BLOG REVIEW


http://www.jenuinecc.com/

This review for FERAL recently went live on Goodreads, and I had to repost.  I'm incredibly grateful I get to be an author during an era when I get to be a fly on the wall, listening to discussions of my work.  (And nothing is more satisfying, to an author, than reading intelligent, thoughtful reviews.)  One of the most important things I'm learning from blog reviews is who my readers are. (For my YA work, it's older teens and adults who enjoy the YA genre, as well as readers who tend to enjoy or gravitate toward character-driven books.)  Understanding both what works and who is at the other end of the "conversation" I'm having with each novel (that's what a book is, I think: a conversation between author and reader) continues to make me a better writer.  

From Jenuine Cupcakes:

This book is creepy.

You should read it.

With the lights on.

Holly Schindler warned me before I started reading FERAL that it wasn't like any of her other books and she was right. It's fast-paced, mind-twisty with engaging story-telling, compelling characters, and descriptions that draw you in and make you feel as if they are happening to you. *shudders*

Like any good mystery, each time I assumed I knew what was going to happen next, something else would happen to throw me off. And there were quite a few moments where I was on the edge of my seat wondering, "WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?!"

Okay, so maybe hiding under the covers is more like it, but whatever. Don't judge.

The ending left me satisfied and the mystery itself was something that could have easily been pulled from today's headlines.

I generally shy away from books with a high creep factor, they tend to give me nightmares, but I'm glad I gave this one a chance! You should too.

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful review that really makes me want to read the book. Congratulations, Holly!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis