Monday, December 17, 2012

THOUGHTS


I’m not a parent, but you don’t have to be in order to feel utterly crushed by what happened at Sandy Hook last week—the loss of twenty bright lights who will never get to become their adult selves.  Musicians, maybe.  Doctors.  Teachers.  Innovators.  Artists.  Twenty lives that never got to see the world through adult eyes.  Even the adults in the massacre were painfully young; twenty-seven, I think, is barely enough time to really even take a deep breath.
I’m not a fan of guns; if I’m to be honest, I hate guns.  I have always respected the right of my more outdoorsy friends to hunt.  But I have never fired a gun myself.  I hate the look of guns.  I literally feel my stomach turn over and goose bumps break out when I have to pass by the guns in Walmart to get to the exercise equipment.  I do not understand why, in Missouri, I may soon be unable to buy pseudoephedrine over the counter at that same neighborhood Walmart (in an effort to curb criminal activity), but I can buy a gun.  I still respect my outdoorsy friends’ right to hunt.  But I also respect the right of all the bright lights in this world to grow big enough to see the world through adult eyes.  And I’m sorry, but I think one of those rights trumps the other.

I also can’t ignore the fact that even the perpetrators of mass shootings were once potential bright lights themselves.  We really know so little about the mind.  And as a society, we are still failing the mentally ill in so many ways, as this heart-wrenching firsthand account explains.
The past few days, I’ve caught myself staring at the sparkling Christmas decorations that hang in my neighborhood, getting absolutely lost in thoughts about all the bright lights in the world that need to be protected, honored, allowed to become their very best selves. 

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully put, Holly. We need to know more about the mind. We need to know more about how our genetically altered food and petroleum based chemicals sprayed on our food and into our earth is affecting the physical and mental development of our children. I feel as if we are so shortsighted, never looking ahead at how one thing leads to another, cause and affect. It's all so very messed up. It's all so very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Attention has to be paid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly, that was a brave post. Thank you for it. It is our highest obligation to protect our children, our bright sparks of light. We also need to do a much better job of learning to identify and treat our mentally ill. How about this year, instead of us all "believing" in Macy's, we believe in the chance to reduce violence in our country?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis