Monday, August 23, 2010

WORLD'S GREATEST POOL PARTY


Holden Caulfield of CATCHER IN THE RYE fame said, "What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it."

…What knocks me out is when a book is so real, you're just absolutely sure the main character’s got to be walking around out there somewhere. And I think a lot of bloggers must feel the same way! Been seeing a lot of variations of this question in interviews...(This one came specifically from The AnaRissa Chronicles):

Can you relate to any of your characters that your have written? Are they based on real people?

…My answer?

"The voice of Aura is really closest to the voice that just rattles around in my own head. But my characters are never based on real people. They’re always complete fiction.

A lot of my readers seem to WANT the characters in A BLUE SO DARK to be real people…I’ve often been asked if I grew up with a schizophrenic mother! (I didn’t—but Mom and I both laugh about the question…she was a psych major in college!)

Really, though, my characters don’t live anywhere but in my mind…And I can’t wait to introduce the world to my next cast of characters, which I’ll be able to do next March, when PLAYING HURT is released!"

…Just think, though, if we could populate our neighborhoods with our favorite characters from novels…contemporary and classic! Now there’s a pool party I’d like to go to…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis